To regain strength in an injured ankle, plantar flexion should be one of the exercises you perform on a regular basis.
Movements like plantar flexion and dorsiflexion will help to increase the strength around the joint, which is essential if you are to avoid recurrent injuries.
Exercises such as these need to be performed regularly - on a daily basis in the early stages of rehab, when the area is still very week, once or twice a week once you return to full function in order to reduce the risk of further injuries.
The exercise is performed as follows:
- Sit with your injured leg outstretched
- Loop the middle section of a piece of tubing around the ball of your foot.
- Grasp both ends of the tubing in your hands.
- Pull the tube towards you to create tension in the tubing
- Gently press the ball of your foot down and point your toes, stretching the tubing.
- Pause, then return to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 10.