One of the essential movements for ankle health, dorsiflexion should be performed regularly by anyone who has suffered an ankle injury.
Ankle problems are hardly surprising given the abuse we give them - from high heel shoes to running on rough ground, there are innumerable ways to injure your ankle.
The reality is that almost everyone suffers ankle sprains and strains from time to time, but few people take the time to rehabilitate them properly. The result? An increased chance of future problems.
Dorsiflexion is an exercise that can contribute to proper recovery. It is performed as follow:
- Tie a loop in one end of a piece of tubing.
- Sit on the floor with your injured leg straight out in front of you.
- Shut the knot in a door.
- Put your foot through the loop so that the tubing goes around the arch of your foot.
- Move backward to create tension in the tubing.
- Keeping your knee straight, pull your foot toward your body, stretching the tubing.
- Hold for 5 seconds, then slowly return to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 10.