There's no doubt that comfortable yoga mats can improve your enjoyment of the activity.
Performing the movements and poses on a secure, comfortable surface will enhance not only your enjoyment, but also your safety. A yoga mat is thus an excellent investment.
This is an activity that has grown in popularity over the past thirty years, with classes now offered at gyms and health clubs worldwide.
If performed regularly, the benefits include:
Decreased pulse rate
- Improved respiratory function
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved cardiovascular efficiency
- Gastrointestinal function normalizes
- Increased flexibility and joint range of motion increase
- Improved posture
- Increased muscular endurance
- Increased energy levels
- Weight loss if overweight
- Improved sleep
- Reductions in chronic pain
- Improved balance
A good yoga mat is essential to practice safely. You'll find them in a variety of thicknesses, colours and materials, so bear the following in mind to find the one that's right for you:
- Most important is a comfortable, non-slip surface, big enough for you to move into the various postures without sliding around the floor.
- Thickness varies from 1.5 to 6mm thick. Travel mats are the thinnest, little more than an anti-slip surface. Anything over 6mm is unstable for balancing postures.
- Standard length is 6 foot (183cm), and standard width is 60cm, although wider models, up 80cm, will help you stay off of cold, hard floors!
- 95% of all models are made of PVC, but new alternatives include Dry Natural Rubber, Latex and TPE.
This is not an expensive item, and will last for years if treated well, so it is worth spending a little extra to get one that really meets your needs.