When looking for a good yoga course, it's important to compare different training providers.
While each will have their own distinctive style, there are certain elements that should feature in any yoga course. You can compare yoga courses online, by calling the different providers, or by looking at brochures.
Key elements to look for might include:
- The background and philosophy
- Chakras - A study of the energy centres
- Meditation techniques
- Pranayama - Studying and understanding breathing techniques and their benefits
- Asanas - Learning and understanding recognised postures, their benefits and contra-indications
- Relaxation - learning about relaxation techniques
In addition to the study of the practice itself, you'll need a variety of skills to run successful classes.
Additional skills would include:
- How to deal with clients
- Organising and running a class
- Business skills
- First aid - this is required for all instructors
- Class organisation
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Healthy Lifestyle - how to incorporate good nutrition, exercise and relaxation into your own life
While price is one consideration when comparing different training options, you also need to consider location, and the final qualification offered.
There are numerous providers who offer certifications that are not recognised by the main governing bodies such as the BWY or REPs.