Home / Exercising / Fitness tests / Strength tests / Upper body tests / Biceps Curl
Biceps curl test
Using the Biceps Curl Test is a great way to test your arm strength.
|What is the point?
Guys like big arms, but the Biceps Curl Test will tell you exactly how strong your arms are. While this isn't essential for every sport, for some, such as rugby or American Football, it can be critical. More specifically, the Biceps Curl Test measures the strength of your elbow flexors.
What do you need?
- Dumbbells ranging from 5 lbs to at least 50 lbs
- Smaller increments are best for determining 1RM
- A bench with the back rest adjusted to an angle of 30 degrees
|How do you do the test?
- Set the back rest to 30 degrees
- Choose an initial weight close to your estimated 1RM.
- Stand behind the inclined surface of the bench, with the rear of your upper arm resting on the inclined surface, hand relaxed, palm up.
- Grip the dumbbell, and flex the elbow to bring the dumbbell upwards.
- Once the dumbbell has been raised, the tester/assistant can take it from you.
- After each successful attempt, wait one minute then repeat with additional weight.
- Continue with this procedure until you reach your maximum (1RM)
- Record the final weight lifted
What results you'll get :
Results are comparative for this test - that is, you can measure progress by comparing against your previous assessments. With appropriate training, you should improve from one assessment to the next.
What is being measured again?
This is a good way to measure the strength of the arms - specifically the elbow flexors.