Lack of sleep is often a habit - and like most habits it can be remarkably persistent unless you take active steps to change it.
There are two main areas you can address to improve your sleep health - your actual sleeping habits, and your diet. We'll look at each in turn.
Many times people fail to create the right environment for good sleep. If your sleep is insufficient or disturbed, look at these areas and see where you can make changes.
- Make sure your bed is comfortable. It may sound obvious, but many people put up with an uncomfortable bed or pillow for years without doing anything about it.
- Ensure your bedroom is quiet, dark, and well-ventilated.
- Listen to your body - go to bed when you're tired, not at "the usual time".
- Relax before bed - stretch, chill out, read a book - and avoid anything likely to make you anxious or stressed.
- Add an hour of extra sleep per night for two weeks and monitor changes in your performance.