There are lots of options for the uses of aromatherapy for hair - the many and various properties of essential oils mean that they can be used in a wide variety of ways.
Thus aromatherapy for hair can include treatments to strengthen the individual strands, control dandruff, or improve an itchy, flaky scalp.
The oil you use will depend on the type of hair you have, and the condition you want to treat. Aromatherapists understand that the scalp is a living organ that needs to be treated gently. If it is abused, it will affect the scalp itself, and of course the condition of your hair.
Thus some treatments work directly on the hair, others to improve the scalp.
Those that work directly on the hair include:
- Normal - Geranium, Palmarosa, Lavender, Rosemary, Ylang Ylang.
- Dry - Elemi, Geranium, Palmarosa, Rosemary, Sandalwood.
- Greasy - Cedar Virginian, Cypress, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Lemon, Lime & Rosemary.
For the scalp:
- Dandruff - Bergamot, Cedar Atlas, Patchouli, Rosemary, Tea Tree.
- Normal - Palmarosa, Lavender, Rosemary.
- Itchy scalp - Chamomile Roman, Chamomile German, Helichrysum, Lavender, Yarrow.
Once you have found that oil that works best for you and your skin/hair type, regular use should dramatically improve the condition.