Home / Exercising / Fitness tests / Advanced tests / Aerobic tests / VO2 max Step Test
VO2 max Step Test
The VO2 max Step Test uses a common piece of gym equipment to help athletes measure their cardiovascular fitness level.
|What is the point?
VO2 max is recognised as one of the best ways to measure cardio fitness. The VO2 max Step Test is a simple, 3 minute cadence test that allows you to quickly calculate this essential measure of fitness.
What do you need?
- A 16? inch high bench or step
- A stopwatch
- Metronome or cadence tape/CD
- Heart rate monitor (optional)
- An assistant
|How do you do the test?
- Step up and down onto the step/bench, one foot at a time, for 3 minutes
- Maintain a steady four beat cycle - men should take 24 steps/minute, women 22 steps/minute
- When you finish the test, count your heart beats for 15 seconds
- Multiply the number of beats in 15 seconds by 4 to give the "step test pulse rate"
- Use the calculator below to calculate your VO2 max
What results you'll get :
Regular testing will help you to track changes in your fitness levels.
What is being measured again?
This is a test of an athlete's cardiovascular system.