What it does?
A variation of the squat aimed at strengthening your legs in particular the knee joint. The press movement will also strengthen the shoulders and arms.
What you need?
How do you do it?
- Start off standing upright with feet about shoulder width apart
- Hold the dumbbells down by your sides
- Slowly bend your knees and lower yourself down as if you were sitting
- Go down until your thighs are parallel with the floor
- Pause briefly and raise yourself back up to the starting position
- As you move back up, raise the dumbbells from your sides to level with your shoulders and then press them up towards the ceiling, extending your arms
- Your arms should be fully extended at the same time you return to the start position
- Hold at the top for 2-3 seconds then lower the dumbbells to your sides
- Repeat 10 times
- Keep your head and chest up throughout the movement
- Don't let your knees travel past your toes as you bend
- Keep your heels on the floor
- Always use caution when lifting weights overhead