What it does?
The deadlift is a brilliant exercise for the legs which develops strength in the quads, glutes and hamstrings which all help to support the knee joint.
What you need?
How do you do it?
- Start off with the bar in front of you on the floor
- Stand upright close to it with your feet roughly shoulder width apart
- Bend down using your knees to grasp the bar, keeping your back straight
- Hold the bar at a comfortable width apart with palms facing towards you
- From this position begin to stand up straight, lifting the bar
- Hold for 2 seconds at the top then lower the bar back down to the ground in a reverse of the upward movement
- Do 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Make sure your posture is good throughout and avoid rounding your back during the movement
- Keep your back straight and use your leg muscles to control the movement
- Keep the bar close to your body
- Remember to breathe freely throughout the movement