What it does?
Another variation of the lunge which will develop strength and balance in the legs particularly the hamstrings. 'Lunging' is an important movement for many sporting activities.
What you need?
No equipment needed
How do you do it?
- Start off standing upright, legs about shoulder width apart
- Take a large step sideways with one leg, bending the stepping leg and keeping the foot facing forwards
- Transfer your weight over this knee and bend until the thigh is parallel with the ground
- Keep the other leg straight
- Pause briefly at the bottom then push off with the stepping leg to return to the start position
- Repeat movement lunging forwards, backwards and to the other side
- Keep the head, torso and feet facing forward
- The knee of the stepping leg should be in line with the foot
- Perform in a slow and controlled manner