What it does?
The deadlift is a brilliant exercise for the legs which is particularly good for developing strength in the hamstrings and glutes. Performing this correctly will help towards strengthening your lower back
What you need?
How do you do it?
- Start off with the bar in front of you on the floor
- Stand upright close to it with your feet roughly shoulder width apart
- Bend down using your knees to grasp the bar, keeping your back straight
- Hold the bar at a comfortable width apart with palms facing towards you
- From this position begin to stand up straight, lifting the bar
- Hold for 2 seconds at the top then lower the bar back down to the ground in a reverse of the upward movement
- Do 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Make sure your posture is good throughout and avoid rounding your back during the movement
- Keep your back straight and use your leg muscles to control the movement
- Keep the bar close to your body
- Remember to breathe freely throughout the movement